Toyota Yaris: Washing and waxing your Toyota
Washing your Toyota
Keep your vehicle clean by regular washing.
The following cases may cause weakness to the paint or corrosion to the body and parts. Wash your vehicle as soon as possible.
When driving in a coastal area When driving on a road sprinkled with antifreeze When exposed to coal tar, tree sap, bird droppings and carcass of an insect When driving in areas where there is a lot of smoke, soot, dust, iron dust or chemical substances When the vehicle becomes remarkably dirty with dust and mud
Hand-washing your Toyota
Work in the shade and wait until the vehicle body is not warm to the touch.
When cleaning under floor or chassis, be careful not to injure your hands.
Exhaust gases cause the exhaust pipe to become quite hot. When washing the vehicle, be careful not to touch the pipe until it has cooled sufficiently, as touching a hot exhaust pipe can cause burns.
When the front wiper arms need to be lifted away from the windshield to wash the vehicle, raise the arm on the driver side first. Conversely, when returning the wipers to their original positions, fold down the arm on the front passenger side first. Failure to perform the operations in the correct order results in damage.
1. Rinse off loose dirt with a hose. Remove any mud or road salt from the underside of the vehicle or the wheel wells.
2. Wash with a mild car-wash soap, mixed according to the manufacturer’s instructions. Use a soft cotton mitt and keep it wet by dipping it frequently into the wash water. Do not rub hard—let the soap and water remove the dirt.
Fuel filler door: Do not apply water (high- pressure car wash, for example) at or near the fuel tank inlet with the fuel filler door opened. If the water enters the air vent, you may experience trouble with refueling or rough engine idling.
Plastic wheel ornaments: The plastic wheel ornaments are damaged easily by organic substances. If any organic substance splash an ornament, be sure to wash them off with water and check if the ornament is damaged.
Aluminum wheels: Use only a mild soap or neutral detergent.
Plastic bumpers: Wash carefully. Do not scrub with abrasive cleaners. The bumper faces are soft.
Exterior lights: Wash carefully. Do not use organic substances or scrub them with a hard brush. This may damage the surfaces of the lights.
Road tar: Remove with turpentine or cleaners that are marked safe for painted surfaces.
3. Rinse thoroughly—dried soap can cause streaking. In hot weather you may need to rinse each section right after you wash it.
4. To prevent water spots, dry the vehicle using a clean soft cotton towel. Do not rub or press hard—you might scratch the paint.
Do not use organic substances (gasoline, kerosene, benzine or strong solvents), which may be toxic or cause damage.
Do not scrub any part of the vehicle with a hard brush, which may cause damage.
Automatic car wash
Your vehicle may be washed in an automatic car wash, but remember that the paint can be scratched by some types of brushes, unfiltered washing water, or the washing process itself. Scratching reduces paint durability and gloss, especially on darker colors. The manager of the car wash should be able to advise you whether the process is safe for the paint on your vehicle.
To prevent damage to the antenna, make sure to remove it before driving your Toyota through an automatic car wash.
Waxing your Toyota
Polishing and waxing is recommended to maintain the original beauty of your Toyota’s finish.
Apply wax once a month or if the vehicle surface does not repel water well.
1. Always wash and dry the vehicle before you begin waxing, even if you are using a combined cleaner and wax.
2. Use a good quality polish and wax. If the finish has become extremely weathered, use a car-cleaning polish, followed by a separate wax. Carefully follow the manufacturer’s instructions and precautions. Be sure to polish and wax the chrome trim as well as the paint.
Windshield washer nozzles: Make sure that the nozzles do not become blocked when waxing. If a nozzle becomes blocked, contact your Toyota dealer to have the vehicle serviced.
If a nozzle becomes blocked, do not try to clear it with a pin or other object. The nozzle will be damaged.
Exterior lights: Do not apply wax on the surfaces of the lights. Wax may cause damage to the lenses. If you accidentally put wax on the light surfaces, wipe or wash it off.
3. Wax the vehicle again when water does not bead but remains on the surface in large patches.
Always remove the plastic bumpers if your vehicle is re-painted and placed in a high heat paint waxing booth.
High temperatures could damage the bumpers.
Audio system operating hints
NOTICE. To ensure correct audio system operations: Be careful not to spill beverages over the audio system. Do not put anything other than a Compact Disc into the slot. The use of a cellular phon ...
Rear floor sidemember (CUT): Hatchback
REPLACEMENT With the body lower back panel removed. REMOVAL INSTALLATION Temporarily install the new parts and measure each part of the new parts in accordance with the body dimension diagra ...
To cool off your Toyota after it has been parked in the hot sun, drive with the windows open for a few minutes. This vents the hot air, allowing the air conditioning to cool the interior more qui ...